Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve Outreaches are AMAZING!!!!!!

Today was Christmas Eve! Bethany picked me up at around 2 and we went to VCC to help set up for the 8th annual donut outreach. This was my first ever, and it's been a night that I will never, ever forget.

For me, the experience really took off when we were all in the auditorium. The lights were turned down, almost off, and we all lit candles. It was amazing to see how just a couple of candles lit up the room, but when they all were good and lit it was just incredible. It made me think that each person in that room would take some of Christ's across town and by the end of the outreach, the city would be shining bright just like the auditorium was. Does that make sense?

So Bethany, Jenn, Logan, and I went to an apartment complex for adults with special needs and we got to see some truly incredible people. God really opened up my eyes tonight. The first man we met was in awe of what we were there to do which to us seemed simple enough - just give away some free donuts and talk with the residents there. But to them it was like something they had never seen before. Just the surprised looks in their eyes made me feel for them ... That perhaps they've been forgotten, and sort of left out of society.

Bethany (who planned the trip) told us that the holidays can be pretty rough on the residents, especially the ones who don't get to go see whatever family they have left, so I know for a fact that Jesus sent us there for a reason.

Everyone there was so nice, and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside just to be around them! When we were just about finished we met a woman in the hallway named Linda, and she asked us to sing with her. We sang "Silent Night" and she nearly bubbled over with sheer joy! As if that wasn't sweet enough, she then told us that her husband sent her down to ask us if we would sing with him. Who could resist?? We went back upstairs and sang "Silent Night" again with Linda and her husband (perhaps the cutest couple in the world) and they both were so happy.

I really, really would love to go back to that complex sometime soon to see our new friends again. It would be so great to go and do arts and crafts with them, or maybe we'll bring our guitars and sing for them. Whatever we do, I hope we do it soon! I really miss our friends there ...

We still had about 9 or so boxes of donuts left, so Bethany, Jenn, and I set out to deliver more of God's love! We went to a drive-thru and gave a box to the man working in there, and he seemed really surprised! We also went to Kenwood mall and gave a box to the security guards. The guard who took them from us seemed taken aback and a little skeptical, but Bethany cleared things up ...

"We're not terrorists ..." She said.

So after that, the guard smiled and took the donuts, leaving us with only one box which we gave away to some sort of candle store. They were all so excited, which was really cool to see because they're just donuts! You know? It's so cool to see how something like a box of donuts like the ones you can buy for $5 can bring so much joy. Not just happiness ... Joy and excitement!

Anyway ... Tonight was wonderful! Before the outreach I was feeling a little low on Christmas spirit, but God showed me that this is what the holiday is supposed to be about - showing His love just like He did when He sent His only Son to be born here on Earth.

Merry Christmas, friends! I love you, and I hope you all have a wonderful holiday!

2 comments:

Mikey said...

DAH. That outreach was SO GREAT :) Haha. Man. I remember nothing of what I was originally going to comment :( darnit. But here's a random blah. A LONg blah. To fill up for everything else.
FIRST COMMENT


BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Stacey said...

Thanks so much for the random blah, Mikey! I love it!!!