Saturday, March 14, 2009

Bad economy? Maybe it's time for us to invest in PEOPLE!

I am so angry right now! I heard the absolutely silliest thing on TV, and I don't mean "silliest" in a good way at all. Perhaps I'm ignorant when it comes to the news because I have absolutely no idea who Bernard Madoff is, but he's apparently in a lot of trouble. (If anyone who reads this wants to fill me in on what happened, then please be my guest, because I'm very confused)

Anyway, I wasn't even listening to the TV when I heard that "silliest" thing. I was cleaning up the living room, and I'm pretty sure I had my iPod on when I heard it. It was so ridiculous that I heard it through my music, which had to have been at half volume at least. Anyway (again), I was just minding my own, picking up my nephew's toys and whatnot when all of a sudden I heard this . . .

"Madoff and his wife are worth a whopping 823 millions dollars."

My jaw hit the floor. Before I knew it, my iPod was shut off, ear buds taken out, and I my complete attention was fixed on the TV. I'm not sure exactly what the guy was trying to say - maybe that Madoff and his wife have that much money? If that's what he meant, couldn't he have at least worded it differently? How could anyone put a price on anyone else, especially if the price is something as fragile as money!

It made me wonder . . . If Madoff and his wife are worth 823 million dollars, how much money is that kid who sits alone at lunch every day worth? Have we really come to such an all-time low point that we're resorting to placing price labels on our fellow human beings? If you ask me, we shouldn't care if the person is "worth" 823 million dollars or if the person has 823 million, we need to start seeing people in the light that God sees them in. He looks down at us and sees kings and queens, beloved children, all priceless in His sight. He looks at a homeless man and sees a man who will hopefully move on to inherit the kingdom of Heaven. He looks at a widow and loves her like a groom never could. Don't you think it's about time we started doing the same?

I certainly do.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Completely agree. I don't realize why people say a person is "worth" a certain amount of money. It's something that has always bothered me.